Friday, November 21, 2008

Zoo by day....Galaxy World by night !

Great Big Sigh!

Wrapping up quite a week, our Homeschool Day revolved around a visit to Taronga Park Zoo!


Missing out on an early start, saw my protege and I drive into the city and park our car in our favorite Haymarket carpark...worried that we would be late AGAIN for our rendezvous with the rest of the Homeschoolers...


We made our way to George Street, looking around like two country bumpkins for the nearest bus stop, that would take us down to Circular Quay... stressing a bit because it was already 9 and we were meant to meet the Teen Group at 10:30, a bus drive, ferry ride and subsequent bus drive away!

Rusty as I am in using Public Transport, we were blessed by a bus that came quickly and saved us further distress.


The arrival at Circular Quay always gets my pulse racing with pleasure... I love this place...all the history...the beauty...sigh...

I took it all in while my daughter stressed out about THE TIME!

I couldn't help but tell her for the millionth time, as we crossed Reiby Place, that somewhere in that vecinity had been the location of Mary Reiby's two storey home...Mary Reiby... an early convict that would later be released to the care of her husband when she married him and then, following his death, would go on to run his buisness, much to the disgust of Old Sydney Town, who during the 18th Century frowned and looked down on the whole 'women in buisness' concept....especially considering that this one had been a CONVICT! She proved to be Sydney's first buisness woman and a successful one at that. Remembered today on our $20 note!

As I rambled on about the favorite old story, my daughter grumbled that I told her the same thing every time we went past that same old street and took hold of my hand, coaxing me forward to get a move on down to the wharves!

Alas.....she will NEVER.....NEVER....EVER....forget that little tidbit...at least that I'm sure of!

The awesomeness of the Quay revealed itself to us, as we momentarily scattered around looking for the wharf we were meant to get the tickets and board the ferry from. Having found the ticket booth, we hurriedly went into the attached wharf and took a seat, expecting the ferry to come within minutes and considering the time it would take us to cross the harbour over to Mosman, we quickly worked out that we would be about 15 mins late...not ideal...but...better than what we had thought.

Out came the phone cameras as we killed some time and did the silly poses... followed by many 'oh get rid of that one' and the delete option...happily knowing that the ferry was already within sight....






Suddenly....we noticed that the sign and subsequent message regarding the ferry that had just arrived...said...NOTHING... about Taronga Park Zoo!

A quick query to the gate person revealed that we should have been two wharves down....


We zoomed out of there, much to the shock of a couple of other passengers that we so accidentally bumped into...I did apologize but comically bumped into another as I was apologizing to the last....oops...not graceful at all!









Securely at the right wharf, we boarded our ferry...now officially running late!
But... momentarily we couldn't help but put all concerns aside as the ferry chugged its way out of the wharves and into SYDNEY HARBOUR!
Just like the ad for Colorbond Steel roofs, you couldn't help but stop and look...blocking out everything and just enjoying the view!

Awesome! AWESOME! Awesome!



Sigh...gulp...sigh!





















On the other side, we scooted out of the ferry and up the ramp to the bus that would take us to the entrance, the meeting point with the others. We were like in the Amazing Race scenes! In the midst of the shuffle we heard a message tone on my phone, telling us that the rest of our PosSe was not far away....relief...we weren't going to be late at all!







All in all, it gave us time to take more pics, buy our tickets, browse through the shop and purchase a safari hat! Yeah...a safari hat...it was turning out to be quite a HOT day and not having been prepared, I didn't have a hat...and you know what it's like...you go into these souvenir shops and EVERYTHING looks sooo cute! Saw the hat...thought...Dr Livingstone, I presume...had a giggle AND BOUGHT IT!


However, on this side of the whole purchase...I cant help but wonder....what on earth am I GOING TO DO WITH IT NOW!!!!






The day was well worth it..... we enjoyed the company of friends, we caught some of the shows and just took the time to look at the wonderful creatures that God has created!


Personally, I love the penguins, the koalas, the kangaroos (which would you believe we did not get to look at because our feet just outrightly refused to go in that direction by the end of the day!) My protege's favorite were the giraffes...but all the animals were great to look at. What an amazing experience once again!




















Once home and having dealt with ISSUES (my whole stress factor returning...), we decided to get out and take some fresh air as a family and since I had no desire whatsoever to cook, we made our way to Haymarket and had a lovely Chinese dinner.


As long as I can remember, my DH and I have always loved going to what in the 80's was called an Arcade and that is better known to our 'sick' kids by its more popular franchise name, Galaxy World! Having one right next to the Food Court we went to, we made a B line for our favorite games!


All problems temporarily forgotten... my daughter and I got into a challenge of Air Hockey while the boys did your typical boy thing and went straight to the toy guns...Dad included!


In the end, we finished off with some challenging car races!








A little peace...a handful of memories...All lessons in life!

No comments: