Friday, November 28, 2008

It's in the blood!






We are all gifted with different skills from God and it's such a joy when we actually work them out early in life.



Yesterday eldest son had trials for what, he had said was a rep team. We made our way there, excited but subdued, knowing that if it was God's will it would work out...if not...there would be other things waiting for him.



Having not played soccer for a year, since being on a first division team in the Western Suburbs, he went on to the field a little bit apprehensive...but first, I had reminded him that he had nothing to be nervous about...soccer was 'in his blood', ...He's half Peruvian and half Brazilian...it's just something that comes naturally to him! His uncle...my brother...I reminded him...had played reps for the state of Arequipa, in Peru during his youth...this was now his time... and he should have no worries about giving it a go. It all just comes naturally to him, I coaxed!



During a 30 second break, he came up to me and I asked him how he was feeling...to which he sheepishly smirked...."Ok....It just comes naturally". Using my famous last words!



The game went on and I began to notice that players were called off...one by one they went off...but...my son was still on the field, so I concluded....OK...that's a GOOD SIGN!



Then after a while...he was taken off!


What was THIS supposed to mean, I thought....maybe they were just trying to work out the place for strikers...my son plays fullback...so....that was settled in my mind as a reasonable explanation.



Time went on and on....my son sat waiting on the sideline...came and sat with me for a while...went back...the game still went on and then the boys on the field were given a couple of minutes break while at the same time, the boys that had been off the field, my son included, were beckoned over to the side.....

From a distance....I wondered...What was going on? What was the guy saying?

My son made his way back....head bowed down a bit and as he approached me, he looked me straight in the eye and said, " Nah, Mom...didn't make it" just before a huge smile took over his expression and he asked me to quickly come because we had to sign some papers!



He HAD MADE IT! OH, how proud a Mom can feel! I was beside myself....But wait!

We we were taken to the clubhouse and given a spiel about the team and what was expected of them and they were asked if they were willing to make a serious commitment. All agreed.



I looked over to my son's face across the room....seeing not the 15 year old young man for a minute, but the little man that loved to run as fast as he could from the very first day that those little legs discovered motion! Time goes by sooooo fast! Sigh!



Then the Club Administrator was explaining to us that we had to sign some forms and that in the section where it asked the name of the club.....we were....to fill in....The University of NSW!



IF I COULD HAVE SCREAMED......IT WOULD HAVE REGISTERED ON THE RICHTER SCALE! REALLY! I had to do everything humanly possible to hold it in and act like the mature parent...that I was supposed to be!



My son and I filled in the papers and thanked the organizers...making our way to the car. All cool, calm and collected.



Once that car door was closed behind us.....I was a squeeling maniac! OH BOY! OHHHHHHHHH BOY! The University of NSW........one of the teams for the University of NSW! WAS I ONE PROUD MOM!



Only the car interior and my son know how many times I voiced my surprise, pride and shock one after the other on the drive home.



My baby boy....having made another great achievement in his life!

Oh Lord! Thank you so much for this life....annoint him and bless him and draw him ever closer to you!



That is my prayer......That is one of my many thanksgivings for today!



No comments: